Monday, January 6, 2014

Baird Reflects on Cancer Journey

The following is a personal message from University of Minnesota Family Medicine and Community Health department head Macaran Baird, MD, MS, about his cancer journey, first shared in our department's 2013 summer newsletter. This past December [2013], another bone marrow biopsy revealed he is still 100% cancer free.

Cancer Reflections: Grateful for the Journey

 

By Macaran Baird, MD, MS

 

Macaran Baird, MD, MS
It’s no secret that this last year has been one of the most challenging and yet life-affirming years of my life. As most of you know, I was diagnosed in September 2012 with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL). In December 2012, I finished up chemo and received a cord blood bone marrow transplant. The transplant was declared a success; and, this summer [2013], a bone marrow biopsy revealed that I am 100% cancer free.

This journey has not been without its setbacks and difficulties. But it has reminded me why we do what we doto make a real, genuine difference in people’s lives. This season has also deepened my appreciation for life, for medicine, for family and friends. I am overwhelmed with gratitude for the excellent care I received at the University of Minnesota Medical Center, Fairview; for the research years ago that enabled me to get treatment now; for the unwavering support from colleagues, family, and friends. I truly felt your encouragement, and it helped bring about healing in my body.

I am especially grateful to associate head Jim Pacala, MD, MS, for stepping up during this time to lead the department. While I longed to still be in the trenches with all of you, I was so encouraged by your commitment to keep pushing forwardto keep our department at the forefront of family medicine education, research, and patient care.

This last year has colored my life in a variety of ways. It has reminded me of time’s true value. It has reinvigorated my passion for medicine, medical research, medical teaching, and patient care. It has made me grateful for the continued opportunity to advocate for and shape the future of family medicine; and, I am so glad we can do it together.

No comments:

Post a Comment